Do I normally blog from work? No. But it's dead here and some things are too good to not post immediately.
This is better than the time I worked for Costco and the lady asked when I was due...
The Setting: Unnamed Bridal/Prom store
The Time: Noon. 9/1/2010
In walks a middle aged, buzzed headed male. (The particular gender we don't really see much of here in this store - and if we DO - they tell me how we need a TV and couch for the men to watch sports on while the ladies giggle and oooo and awww- Let's face it folks, I'm in UTAH)
"Can I help you?"
"Just browsing."
"Are you looking for a particular occasion?"
(At this point my lil Mormon girl glasses are still on... He must be shopping for his daughter...)
"Nothing particular, just for fun."
He browses... sticks to the side of the store with the modest Prom dresses... Sizes 14-18...
"Are you doing ok?" I ask.
"Yeah. I want one with sleeves. Can I try some on?"
Hopefully my big doe eyes didn't give away my shock... this is NOT for his daughter...
"Sure." I pulled four dresses into the room for him. Two shades of blue, hot pink, and a yellow. All ballgowns. Mormon girl Prom ballgowns. Gulp.
He tries them on. I don't see much of him- maybe he's afraid of coming out to use the mirrors? Ooooop, no. There he is... sauntering the store in the navy blue frock. * Sparkles *
Then came his questions and need for fashion advice:
"What about a neckline? Which is most flattering on me? What about color? I love the yellow. I want yellow because I love Princess Belle."
AH! I can TOTALLY relate! But honey, that yellow sure ain't gonna work with your skin tone...
- Oh, and his second daughter is named Annabelle... they call her Belle.
Nice guy. We chit chat. He lives in Provo. He doesn't however, shop there in Provo for fear of running in to someone he knows. This is an "in the closet" hobby of his. Ok.
We finally decide on a sweetheart necked, navy blue ballgown, but shoot! We don't have an 18, and it's too small to let out the size 16 that we DO have.
Back into his normal man clothes. A green, "BYU Men's Chorus" polo. Hmmm.
We chit chat some more about needing to order and alter the dress he wants. (I pass that buck off to my manager...) And then the kicker:
"Are you a member of the predominant religion in the area?"
Yes. I am LDS, sir.
"Well, as you can see, most of these dresses are made to cover certain underclothing that women of that religion wear."
Where is he going with this???
"I would like to be able to find something that cover the male version of that underclothing."
Are y'all following me here? He then tells me that he would be uncomfortable buying and wearing a women's top for the dress. Uhhhh...
Doe eyes. Blinking. I'm an actress... this is TOTALLY normal...
"Yeah- that could be a problem." Blink. And twitch.
Nice guy. Odd experience. His wife's name is Amy.
Wife.
Thank you, Orlando, and the boys who love the P HOUSE, for allowing me to handle this situation with class.

21 comments:
BAHAHAHABAHABAHABAHAHAHA (gasp) BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!
AAAAHHHHH!!!! Hahahahaha,I cannot stop laughing!!!!
I say, if you're going for the dress, you might as well go for the women's G's... :)
Oh dear. How on earth did you keep a straight face?!
Seriously?! Seriously. SERIOUSLY?! THIS is why I prefer SoCal. At last everyone here is open about being freaks of nature.
(I had to read this post, like, 3 times, because I felt like I wasn't reading it right... sure enough, I was).
hahahahah UNBELIEVEABLE!!
WOW!!!! I LOVE it - you totally just made my day!
Oh my goodness. I bet you are hoping you are working when he comes to pick up and get the dress he ordered altered! AUGH!!
HO-LY CRAP. The whole "undergarment" conversation is what made my mouth drop. I wouldn't have been able to keep a straight face!
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! I totally needed this!!
Thanks for posting this Amy! I'm jealous I wasn't there. Such a great story! :D
Oh dear!
Wow-zer. Wow-zer!
Ooohhhhhhhh my goodness!!! Alex was doing the same doe-eyed blank stare and blink that you described. WHAT?! I am freaking out a little.
WOW!
That is such a great story! PLEASE take some pictures when his dress finally does come in!
Oh. my. HECK. That must have been your best acting job ever.
OH MY GOODNESS!! THAT WAS AMAZING!
You are a great actress!
No words......
I love it! Too funny!
Post a Comment