Sunday, December 27, 2009

2010


More Holiness Give Me

More holiness give me, more strivings within
More patience in suffering, more sorrow for sin
More faith in my Savior, more sense of His care
More joy in His service, more purpose in prayer

More gratitude give me, more trust in the Lord
More zeal for His glory, more hope in His Word
More tears for His sorrows, more pain at His grief
More meekness in trial, more praise for relief

More purity give me, more strength to o'ercome
More freedom from earth-stains, more longings for home
More fit for the kingdom, more useful I'd be
More blessed and holy, more, Savior, like Thee

- Phillip Paul Bliss

Resolutions:

Ah yes, tis the time of year when we resolve to lose weight, to learn to play the piano, and to stop biting our nails. We entertain the ideas of what and where we will be "a year from now," and vow to rid ourselves of all vices.

I've done it every year since I was a teen. Probably even before. I'm somewhat of a goal FREAK.

The past few years I feel as if I have failed miserably in completing these goals that I so zealously pursue for the first two weeks of the year. Of course I have done SOME things right, but for the most part I have written things down and forgotten about them as soon as the freshness of the new year has worn off.

Perhaps this is why I so thoroughly enjoyed our sacrament meeting today. The last talk was given on new year resolutions. My resolutions usually consist of ten or so personality quirks, struggles, or lazy habits that I deal with. I think hard about them for a moment, and then twelve months later realize that I am in the exact same place I was previously. Either that, or I have sadly regressed.

I'm not a fan of change. I bawl like a baby throughout every life changing event. Every time I move (which, in the last ten years has been WAY more than I'd ever expected...), I stand in an empty room that is full of memories no one else can see, and I get ripped apart emotionally as I close the door on that chapter of my life. Change. Blah.

Maybe that's why my New Year resolutions never seem to work out.

Or I am just lazy.

Yep.

So this year, inspired by the last closing hymn of our 2009 sacrament meetings, my resolution is simply said,


"More Holiness Give Me."

That's what I want out of myself in 2010. And if I'm lazy about it, well that is just plain stupid. ;-)


2 comments:

Adam and Andrea Daveline said...

Way to go girl! I think that is such a terrific idea!

Rebekah said...

Well put! Ben and I were thinking the same thing as we listened to his great talk in sacrament.