Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Sunshine After All the Rain


This is bound to be a long winded post. So for those of you who make it through, I commend you.

The sunshine of my past week:

1. Emily. This sweet little girl came into our world for only nine minutes, but her presence has changed things forever. I can honestly say that I have never felt grief like this. I haven't experienced THIS kind of emotion and THIS sense of frailty EVER in my life.

And it's not even happening directly TO me.

I'm a pretty lucky girl to have made it this far into life without experiencing this kind of thing.

But now it's happening to the person who is most like me in the entire world. My baby sister. My Biffy. My Baby Bronto. Sissy. I hurt for her.

It is strange to grieve over someone you will never know in this life. But I guess it's not Emily I grieve FOR. (Though if I think too hard I get emotional over all the wonderful earthly experiences she'll never get to have...) But that little girl has it made. Straight to the Celestial Kingdom she goes! Now all the rest of us just have to live up to that standard and get back there to be with her.

This bit of doctrine has brought peace and hope to our family these past few days. From the Teachings of Joseph F. Smith:

Joseph Smith taught the doctrine that the infant child that was laid away in death would come up in the resurrection as a child; and, pointing to the mother of a lifeless child, he said to her: “You will have the joy, the pleasure, and satisfaction of nurturing this child, after its resurrection, until it reaches the full stature of its spirit.” There is restitution, there is growth, there is development, after the resurrection from death. I love this truth. It speaks volumes of happiness, of joy and gratitude to my soul. Thank the Lord he has revealed these principles to us.


Blessings, and what I see as miracles have come from this experience, and I am sure there are plenty more ahead.

In the mean time we keep living and smiling and grieving and laughing and playing and loving and serving. That's life. And I am grateful for it.

2. My home. I am SO thankful to be back in MY HOME with MY BED and MY SINK and MY DISHES, and MY GARAGE and MY STUFF. I love my house. My hubby was so nice to buy it for me.

3. SNOW!!! Even though I got stuck at a gas station in Alpine as I waited for the white-out conditions to pass, I was GIDDY with excitement over the flakes that swirled all around me! Bring on the holiday season!!!

4. I am anti- Christmas anything before Black Friday. The day after Thanksgiving I have a heyday and the decorations and tree and music all come out. But before that- NO. Don't like it. I like to focus on Thanksgiving and THEN move on. ANYWAY- tonight as I was driving home, something quite strange happened. The classic "White Christmas" by Bing Crosby came on and I was REALLY happy about it! I got all warm and fuzzy inside and relished in the music. I think Christmas will come a little bit early for me this year. I need it. Biff needs it. Tomorrow I'm hauling of her Christmas stuff to her apartment and we're gonna go crazy.

5. My humidifier makes me happy.

6. The glorified boat ride was incredible and someday I will post all about it. WHAT A WONDERFUL WEEK WE HAD!!!

7. It's that time of year again!!!! Peppermint ice cream and hot fudge!!! Thank you Dreyers Slow Churned.

8. I love winter coats! And gloves and scarves and boots...

9. I'm really grateful that I am a "chill" person. We got home from Orlando on Saturday night, but our luggage decided it didn't want to follow us. Awesome. Three bags lost for 24 hours. Oh well. Didn't even really phase me. Stuff like that is just REALLY not worth ranting and raving over. Life will go on and it's O.K.

1o. Target. I got some super cute clothes there a few weeks ago, and the prices can't be beat. I love it.

11 comments:

Jenna said...

I hope you and chuck will be okay :) its so sad to lose someone you love.

I do love the Target sales too! Just went there last night cause they have some greaet sales on clothes until Wednesday!!! Skinny jeans...$12!

Tiff said...

Your poor sister. :( I can't imagine how hard it must be for her right now. She'll be in my thoughts & prayers.

Oh, and P.S. when you start having kids, ANYTHING that has to do with the airport will make you so NOT a chill person. Just a heads up. LOL. ;)

Aubrey said...

Poor Biff--that's one of the things I really don't want to happen to me. I hope she'll be okay.

I'm liking Target clothes too. $6 long-sleeved shirts are the best--three for the price of one Shades shirt! Because I still have to buy fat clothes. ha. ;)

Unknown said...

I can't even imagine. The love for my little Macie is indescribable and to lose her would tear my world apart. Give Biff our best.

Makenna said...

My mother lost her first son, my older brother. Baby funerals are a dread in my life. It must be so painful for you all! You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Thankfully, Heavenly Father provides an end to pain, grief and hardships, He always does.

Anonymous said...

Amy your poor sister. The same thing happened to my sister in law, we lost two little twin boys after seven hours. It is the greatest feeling in the world knowing we have the gospel. We are SO lucky! I can't imagine what she is going through. My sister in law read so many books and has a list on her blog. Go to my blog, there names are Jenny and Gus. It might help if she wants. I'll be thinking of you.

Allison Juarez said...

I am sooo sorry for your loss. I know what you mean about christmas. Normally I wait till december to start thinking about it, but this year I am craving christmas music and lights. I think we all need time to just concentrate on Christ right now. It sure lifts my spirits. :)

Jami said...

I'm so sorry, Amy. My heart just aches for your sister and for your entire family. I have held so many of these sweet angel babies in my arms and know just how precious their little spirits are. I hope and pray that they were able to get pictures of little Emily. Please know that my prayers are with all of you.

Charisa and Trent said...

I'm so sorry Amy. I'd never heard that quote by Joseph Smith but I love it. I'm so grateful for the incredible eternal perspective that the gospel gives us. I hope you're all doing well, especially your sister and her husband.

Glad you had a good time on your cruise! can't wait to hear about it.

The Boothes said...

Oh Amy I am sorry for the tragedy. I will keep you and your sister in my prayers. I sure love you and reminded of how precious life is and how wonderful the gospel is. Hang in there my friend.

joel and laura michelle said...

what wonderful words of wisdom. the gospel brings complete hope into situations like these. our prayers are with your family.