
I'm trying to become a good cook. I'm doing decently well, only WE NEED VARIETY. Here's the deal... I'm a bit of a health freak. I'm all about chicken, REALLY REALLY lean ground beef (which is even breaking my rules a bit...), veggies, whole wheat pasta, tortillas, and bread... etc. On nights when I don't have time to make something good I throw a Kashi pizza in the oven. We eat lots of salad... but I AM BORED with the same things over and over. HELP!!! I need ideas.
I also need ideas for healthy snacks. Our cupboards are always stocked with fruits and almonds and Kashi crackers and yogurt and cheese sticks (Weight Watchers and reduced fat, of course...) - but again, we need VARIETY. My hubby probably wants to cringe when thinking about all of the above foods.
ALSO: Don't get me wrong. I love me some ice cream and junk too... just not very often. Hmmmm.
Suggestions???
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Need. Variety, Now.
Posted by
Amy
at
5:08 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
email me and I will give you a TON of healthy, yet yummy recipes...ginger soy chicken, Tostadas with a yummy fresh salad that goes on top, this is high in protein and very healthy too. Or you can get my number from my mom and you can call me:-)
2 points per cup weight watchers
Missionaries and children approved
Chili
1 can kidney beans
1 can fat free refried beans
1 can plain chilibeans (check fat conent on can)
1 can whole corn
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomatoe sauce
1 can water
1 small can chopped green chilies
1 package taco seasoning mix
1 package ranch dressing mix(hidden valley, not buttermilk)
1 lb or less of lean ground meat
1 large chopped onion
Brown meat and onion, do not drain. Add all remaining ingrdients. Simmer 15 mins. Serve!
My whole ward loves this chili. It's at every birthday party and ward function. It is soooo yummy!
Have you tired ground turkey? It is leaner than beef but if you season it most people can't really taste the difference. It is a little more expensive just to warn you.
Let's find a healthy food cooking class and take it together, it would be sooooo much fun!!
I LOVE hummus and it is really good for you, in fact I just made some with my mom tonight if you want to try it. I also have a food blog. I think it's on my sidebar, anyway, I get a lot of ideas there. There is a lot you can do to change receipes to make them healthier. Pasta Salad is a good one.
Another great one is Pesto sauce. It is so yummy and you can put it on pasta, chicked, or just baste it on bread and broil it.
Sounds like you need more interesting vegetable dishes. I know some yummy ways you can prepare veggies!
Asparagus:
Drizzle olive oil on washed & snapped asparagus (Pyrex dish is best)
Season with some salt. Sometimes I even like a little seasoning salt, too.
Put in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes, making sure you turn/stir the asparagus every 5 minutes. After the 1st 5 minutes, sprinkle with sesame seeds. Trust me, it's yummy! David loves asparagus this way.
Steamed carrots:
slice 3-5 carrots into buttons, put a little bit of water in the bottom of a microwavable bowl. Sprinkle generously with basil. I like to put butter in, too but you can use smart balance or something. Steam in the microwave for 3 or 4 minutes.
Zucchini and cheese:
slice zucchini into buttons, drizzle with olive oil. season with salt, pepper, garlic, parmesean cheese, onion powder. Sprinkle with cheese on top. Bake it in the oven at 375 or 380 for 15-20 minutes.
Steamed broccoli with butter, salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar. Easy as can be and really good!
Hope these help!
Also, I have a zillion of chicken recipes, if you're interested. Some more healthy than others. Let me know if you want any.
www.e-mealz.com
Jenn and I have used this for three months and it is AWESOME! The meals are delicious, quick, and easy. The only thing easier than making the meal is the fact that they make the grocery list for you. At $5 per month, it's a really good deal. Try it out. For your first time type in the coupon code "Dave" (as in Dave Ramsey) and you'll get $2.50 off.
I need to email you recipes. Facebook me your email. It is probably on your facebook account... but I don't want to go looking. I have a few and most of them are healthy.
Post a Comment