Thursday, April 09, 2009

Things I'd Forgotten


I have worked nearly 30 hours in the past two days. Part of me thinks that working like that is great. If it means I get my week's worth of work in in just a couple days- I'm all about that. But I'm pooped. Come on folks, you're talking to a girl who playing PRINCESS for a living for more than two years of her life- getting back into the "real world" of work is tough. I'd forgotten.
So here I am in Utah-picking up odd jobs here and there to make money (that we really need) and to keep myself from getting bored to death. So far I have become a cleaning lady and a wardrobe mistress. Oh yeah- and today I am going to be a model at Costco. (I know, I can't stop laughing myself...) HA! All this is temporary while I build up students (want voice lessons??? CALL ME) and try to get some coaching type jobs here and there. Fun fun fun. Starting over with job stuff is exciting. And exhausting.
WARDROBE MISTRESS: Did you know that my costumes don't just magically appear in my dressing room every morning? Nice, clean, pressed and ready to go.... Nope. That business takes a LOT of work. I spent all day yesterday working for the national tour of Bye Bye Birdie in Provo- and I must say that it's VERY interesting being on the other end of things. Those techs, costumers, stage managers, etc work their tails off. It's amazing. And then, at two hours before show, the performers prance on in with just enough time to get ready for the show. Hmmmm. Anyway, the point is, the whole thing made me appreciate- even more than I already did- the whole technical aspect of what I do. Not only that, but it made me EXTREMELY grateful for Equity. This was a non-equity tour, so the costumes don't exactly have to be WASHED.... gross. Yeah- they all wreaked of sweat and Febreze- and the smell threw me back into my days at the Playmill. Ahhhhhhhhh the Playmill. How I loved those years of my life! Sweating on someone elses caked in sweat... :-) - which eventually turns into sweating someone else's smell... (Actually Tiffany- the purple dress was one that didn't smell so bad... ha ha) Trust me- it sounds nasty but there's also a great sentimentality that goes along with it. Hee hee.
I've also forgotten what summer feels like. Spring keeps fooling around with my emotions by giving me sunshine and warmth one day, and snow the next. Hmmmm. At least I can still wear my cute coats...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I happen to love those doors too :) And I am SURE you are going to let us know when you close and need help moving right? ;)
Let's hope that Mayzie comes before or after, because I'm afraid she will take first priority, so we can see that adorable little face! :)
We promise though, we will be there to help.
x PS....It's Shirley....just don't have a google account : } For now, I am anonymous with you and Kristy, till I get it figured out.