
Tonight as Chuck left my house his mom called. Soon he came back through my door with that dreaded look of "something is wrong."
President Hinckley has passed away.
President Hinckley has been the president of the Church since I was 14 years old. Of course I remember previous prophets, but President Hinckley is the prophet of my youth. He taught me time and time again the things I need to know to be a successful and happy person. I was constantly amazed by his enthusiasm for life, his energy- especially at 97 years old, and his ability to stay positive during the tough times. He established the "B's," inspired us to rise above the ordinary and "be a little better," taught each one of us the importance of families, and he constantly testified of the reality of our Savior.
President Monson spoke in our stake conference this morning. He seemed unusually worn and reflective- which we all commented on as we discussed the things we'd heard in the meeting. His unusual state made us wonder if something was wrong with HIM.
I know that President Hinckley was a true prophet of God. His inspiring words, optimism, and testimony of Jesus Christ have enthused me since I was a young girl. I loved watching him wave his cane during his later years, and will always cherish the Ensign articles, conference talks, and devotional memories I have to remind me of this incredible man.
"I am no longer a young man filled with energy and vitality. I am an old man. I'm given to meditation and prayer. I would enjoy sitting in a rocker, swallowing prescriptions, listening to soft music, and contemplating the things of the universe. But such activity offers no challenge and makes no contribution. I wish to be up and doing. I wish to face each day with resolution and purpose. I wish to use every waking hour to give encouragement, to bless those whose burdens are heavy, to build faith and strength of testimony."- President Gordon B. Hinckley.
May we all choose to live our lives as this incredible man did.
2 comments:
I know you so well!! As I was accessing your Blog to see if you had updated it, I knew that the first thing I would see was President Hinkley's face. What a wonderful tribute you have written! I am proud of you. I think you speak for all of us when you say how much you admire him, and how much he will be missed.
Love,
Mom
I was shocked when I found out! But it was nice, the next day at school there were a ton of people dressed up out of respect, it made me feel really happy, and I'm glad I got the text to dress up because it helped me feel better about it. I'm sure he is very very happy though, with his wife and the savior :)
Post a Comment