Friday, November 30, 2007

My Beast: The Pantless.



Live theatre is a beautiful thing.

The monotony of my life was lifted today as I batted my eyes and fluttered my fingers as Belle in MGM Studios "Beauty and the Beast: Live on Stage." Every day I go to work, sit in my chair at the vanity, put on fake eyelashes and brown wigs, and every day I even get to prance around the stage in that classic gold "Belle dress." Yep, that's my life... and often times it feels a lot like that movie Groundhog Day- oh- have I mentioned that before???

It's not every day that the Beast's pants fall down. OK- it has NEVER happened. But this was my lucky morning and it made the whole day of five shows worth it. Ha.

Uh hem. So.. This scene... (this is the scene where the incident HAPPENED... not the ACTUAL incident that occured this morning at 10:02 AM)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yn3vpxYZss

Now, we all know Beasts don't wear pants anyway, but at Disney they usually have to for rating reasons. We are a G rated, family facility.

Enough of the dumb backstory... this is what happened:

Beast: I thought I told you never to come here!

Belle (played by ME): But I just wanted to find out what was in the West Wing!

(Coming down the stairs... all is well and the same as always)

Beast: It's none of your business!

Belle: Please stop!

(Oh my gosh... uh, his purple trousers are looking awfully saggy...)

Beast: You shouldn't have come to the West Wing!

Belle: And you should learn to control your temper!

(OH MY GOSH HIS PANTS ARE COMPLETELY FALLING OFF)

* Audience is roaring with laughter- and I HAVE TO SING??!?!?!?)

More dialogue... I dunno how I am going to control myself because I am DYING inside but I have to stay composed... I know! I will turn in the OTHER direction so I don't have to look at him while I sing...

Sing sing sing... Heavenly Father PLEASE help me be able to get through this song...

... but he was mean and he was coarse and unrefined...

The people in the booth are cracking up.

All I can hear is people laughing. Everywhere. Onstage. Mrs Potts, Chip, and Lumiere, and Cogsworth (HA HA HA! OHMYGOSH- only they don't say gosh...). Laughing. People off stage DYING. Techs crying they're laughing so hard.

And here I am. On stage. Keeping myself composed as the Beast, on the other side of the stage, tries to keep his pretty pants up... after all, this is NOT the AFTER HOURS version of Beauty and the Beast. Finally, the part I was nervous about comes. I had to turn to the Beast so he could give me the book...

I turn. The Beast looks at me and quickly throws his purple cape over his "parts." The parts that should be covered by his pants... but his pants are around his knees... I lost it. But luckily at this point my mic was turned off. I can't even describe it all. Please bless someone in the audience posts this on youtube. Y'all need to see it. One of my best moments on stage EVER.

OH MY GOSH.

I love my job.

11 comments:

Mrs. Egg said...

oh man, sure why couldn't that have happened why we were there? that would have been great!!! poor beast! heehee!

Aubrey said...

Amy--were they flaming knickers that fell off? I was laughing so hard reading your scenario. I hope someone was recording and posts it on YouTube--it would be so funny.

Trever and Heather said...

That's hilarious! I wish I would've been there to see it.

Chances are pretty good it will be posted on YouTube... people love Disney characters having embarassing moments like that.

Anonymous said...

"... but he was mean and he was coarse and unrefined..." the PERFECT lyrics for that to happen!!!

Mom

Harper said...

That is fantastic ... and it reminded me of the time on stage at the Playmill.

You, me, Jenny Rock and Jason ... singing, "KMIL - PLAYMILL!" But it was the moment before that, when we were chewing gum ... and I so eloquently muttered, "This gum tastes like cat urine."

Pffftt. As if I would know.

GREAT POST! :)

Blaine said...

I am laughing my head off! That is hilarious! I wish, I wish, I wish I could come see you!

Jason Graham said...

oh wow. oh wow. oh wow. funny, funny.

Jamie said...

I don't know how you held your composure for so long. I would have lost it and busted up laughing, and then made up different lyrics to the song...something to the effect of the beast losing his pants. HA HA!

Kristi said...

Amy this made my heart so so happy!

Melissa Garn said...

I haven't laughed that hard in a while! I can't believe you didn't bust out a little "let me entertain you!"

Kecia said...

That made my day Amy! HA HA HA! Thanks for sharing! I still bust up when I think about Beast covering his "parts" with his cape cuz his pants are around his knees...hee hee