
Yep. Haven't spent any time in the blogging world for about three weeks now. Too much going on. Lots of performances, lots of work, lots of drama, lots of responsibilities, etc. etc. etc. As we head into June, I'm thankful that the year is half way through, that I get to take some good vacations, and that it's finally Summer! (Well, almost... sometimes the weather would like to tell us otherwise...)
Happies of the last THREE weeks:
1. Temple: I've been able to go twice in the last three weeks and it has been absolutely wonderful. I am so thankful for a place where I can go to feel close to Heavenly Father and ponder and learn and grow and serve.
2. Hair: Finally got my hair "did" last week. I feel much less FRUMPY.
3. Grass: Who knew Chuck and I could be so obsessed with GRASS? We look at our yard lovingly every day and have spent the last three weeks trying to make our baby grass as plush and green as possible. I never saw myself as a person who would drive around neighborhoods and be envious of the GRASS in someones yard.
I have become that person! (Does that make me domestic yet???)
4. Students: I have enjoyed, the last three weeks, lots of time with my students at the Scera. We completed our production of "Seussical Jr." on May 11, had a Broadway Review with the entire Scera Youth Theatre the following week, and finished up the year with class last Thursday. I'm grateful to have had time with these fun, talented kids this past school year. I'm thankful to have at least one of my jobs pertain to what I am actually GOOD at. I'm not GREAT at TEACHING it all yet, but I am getting better. I wouldn't have survived the ropes of the Scera without some wonderful assistants as well.
5. Friends: I cannot express how grateful I am for friends who can talk some sense into me. :-) Andrea and Hilly are VERY good at this, and I am thankful. Now I just need Andrea and Devin to move back to Utah. Now would be good. :-)
6. LDSJournal.com: What? I'm like a broken record? Yep. I still love it.
7. Wedding: Oh, how I still love to think about it and remember. I was never one to fantasize over weddings until my own was over. Now I do all the time. Best day ever.
So those are my happies.
Now: Changing gears for fun.
Thanks, KSL's Nightside Project for making me think- I am curious to see what y'all have to say about this:
When you are dating you always present your best self. You are careful about what you say, conscious of what you do, and you have a filter on your behavior at all times. There's often a tease or a flirt, and occasionally you'll let loose and get a little crazy. But let's be honest- you're being JUDGED, so you're careful about what you say and do. You're always being watched, and you're aware of it...
When you're married the walls come down. Your spouse learns that you look goofy in the morning, you have habits that drive him crazy, and the filter that your mouth once had fades away and a stream of consciousness verbiage explodes. When you're married, there's not much left to guess. You're always being watched, but you don't really care...
So, are you dating or married to your social networking sites? What do you share? How far do you go in what you say in a Facebook status or on a blog? What are YOU comfortable with? I think that many of us type away without REALLY thinking through the fact that x- amount of Facebook friends can, and actually WILL, READ what we're typing. Do you sometimes post things to "fish for compliments?" Do you sometimes vent without really thinking about the fact that the person you're venting ABOUT could VERY easily read your words? Whether you consciously had an ulterior motive or not, have you ever posted something that you probably just should have kept to yourself?
I'm just curious.
Many people- sometimes myself included- have NO filter when it comes to Blogs, Facebook statuses,Tweets, etc. I can't help but strongly believe that ALL this causes WAY more drama in life than is EVER needed.
Common phrases of 2010:
"Oh my gosh, did you see what ( Insert Name )
"Oh yeah, I read your blog!"
"So-and-so removed me as a "friend!"
"I can't believe that she wrote that!"
Gossip gossip gossip... talk talk talk...speculate speculate speculate...
For months I have been warned by family members and those close to me that if they'd been reading my blog as an outsider, they'd assume that I am really unhappy with my life and in my marriage. Hmmmm. That came as a shocker. Yeah- I poke fun and tease and am very sarcastic in what I say- but I also feel as if I'm pretty positive and post about the good things going on in life. But it all made me think about what I am posting, and how people are perceiving it all.
How are YOU perceived via Tweets and Facebook status updates???
I guess I have learned that some things are better vented behind the privacy of my online journal. (Insert plug for LDS Journal right here!) The drama that could ensue from a spontaneous Twittered thought is absolutely not worth my time. I also believe, though, that sometimes the things posted on these sites really HELP those around us to know that they are not alone in their feelings- we're bonded via blogs and Facebook. I'll absolutely admit that I feel bonded and sometimes "warm and fuzzy" after reading a blog of emotional bulimia.
So, there are pros and cons to the "dating" and "marriage" relationships of social networking...
Are YOU dating, or married to your Facebook, Blogs, etc... ???? Do you have a filter? Or do you freely share without a care?
8 comments:
That's an awesome article! I'm glad you posted it! After reading it, I'm definitely someone who is 'dating' Facebook. I don't like letting everyone know EVERYTHING that's going on in my life. I'm glad to hear you are doing well!
Interesting! I have never thought through your writings that you were ever unhappy or discontent. I love how you write and are honest!
Amy! I love you and have missed your blogging in my life! And I really liked what you said. Dearest, we need to chat soon :) Much love!
I am definitely a "dater". I'm a pretty private person, and don't like to put stuff out there for anyone and everyone to read.
Thanks for your plugs about ldsjournal.com. I just started and I'm loving it!
That's awesome that you get to do what you love for your work! And I adore Seussical. How fun!
And, yes, I am a dater for sure. I'm just too paranoid of what people would think if I was too honest... :)
But I really love reading your thoughts and have wished that I could be more open.
Are you performing in the Broadway night this next Tuesday? I'm going with Hilary and I so hope you either perform or at least go to it so I can see you. It's been way too long!
I think one of the things we all have to realize is that when you're typing something, it may not come across the way you really mean it. It's much easier for someone to infer something incorrectly from just reading words than when they are standing face to face with someone and can hear their tones and inflections and see their body language. Because of that, I'm pretty careful about what I write about on my blogs and facebook. The people who know the "real" me are those that I am with and see everyday.
I didn't know you were doing the camp at the Scera. I hope so much that you had a blast and that the kids were responsive. I went to B&B yesterday. We Miss Seeing You!!!
Hmmmm... food for thought, thank you. I am happy to say that I'm really only dating facebook, and I don't even know how to tweet, or whatever they call it. And my blog is my venting spot, but you're right, sometimes it's nice to hear a little emotional honesty to remind you that everyone else is human too.
Miss you girl!
Post a Comment