Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Twenty 8

Last Saturday I turned 28. Next weekend is my ten-year high school reunion. I'm feeling a bit tripped out by it all. Had you asked me, oh, ten years, ago what I'd be doing at this point of my life, I'd tell you all about the diapers and sleepless nights and sippy cups and the struggle to lose those last ten pounds of baby weight. I'll admit that I am thankful for the Lord's plan for my life. I'm in the perfect place for ME right now. For Amy, now is perfect. I love that.

I planned to get married to "a hot RM" at 20. We were going to meet during my second year at Ricks College, he was going to be from California, and we'd be married the summer of 2001 in the San Diego Temple. That WAS the plan. Fast forward ten years... I got the boy from Cali- and I had to go to Orlando to find him.

I've had many, MANY adventures along the way.

There were REALLY lonely times. The summer and fall of 2004 was nearly torture for me. The unmarried friends from Layton I had left all bit the dust, and the season concluded with the marriage of my sister- four years my junior- and my cousin, Melissa. Cherie Call's "He Gives Flowers to Everyone" became the theme song of my soul. (I can hear you snickering now...)

I was always looking ahead to the next step. What program would I get into at school? What would I do after graduation? And dangit- when would I meet THAT boy???? I'm a very driven person. I get what I want. I obsess over the things I'm gonna get. Tunnel vision- I've got it. And I've never been too great at LIVING IN THE MOMENT.

For the first time in my life I am content living for NOW. Of course I have dreams of babies and performing opportunities, getting my house decorated, blah blah... but for now-I can honestly say that I LOVE where I am at. It's a great feeling.

So often we live for "when the kids are older," "when I have a better job," "when I lose weight..." Make your NOW perfect for you.

Cuz life is good. I promise.

8 comments:

Charisa and Trent said...

Love this. You're wonderful and amazing and your final thought means a great deal to me tonight. Thank you.
Happy belated birthday, Amy!!

Katie said...

Thanks for the reminder. Sometimes I get too caught up in the diaper changes and sippy cups etc that I forget to look for the things that are wonderful! :)

Kjersti said...

Oh, Amy, I love you! Thanks for your positive words of hope! Oh, and I hope your birthday was lovely!

Misty said...

Beautifully written and a reminder I needed today. Thanks, Amy! And happy birthday!!!!

Trever and Heather said...

Well said.

The Rich Family said...

Happy Birthday Amy! You have had a GREAT life thus far. It is amazing all of the things that you have been able to do. Now you are married to cute guy and you will get to be a mom in the near future! I cant wait to see whats going on in your life when you have turned 30! You have always been such a wonderful example to me!

Kristy said...

I hope you had a great birthday and I had to laugh about where you thought you would be. Still got that last 10 pounds to loose dang it. :)

Ah crap, Myles just ran out the door and I'm not dressed.

Amy said...

I am so happy to hear all this from you Amy! I know the past little bit has been rough for you. Not gonna lie, sometimes it's hard to remember that the practically-perfect Amy Shreeve (Keeler!) has been through so many of the same struggles. I know EXACTLY what you are talking about here (except the whole actually finding THAT boy part). I really miss our late night talks!
The past few months have taken me on a journey to accepting the Lord's will and just loving the moments. Eventually we'll all have the little ones to stress about. In the meantime, there is so much joy to be had!! Thanks for the reminder. Love you girl.