Thursday, June 11, 2009

To Anyone Who Knows Anything About iTunes...


Calling iTunes people: My computer has major viruses (Not effecting my music...). I need to take everything off my computer, put it on an external hard drive, start completely over with my PC, and then get all my music back onto iTunes. Is there some sneaky way I have to do this? Or can I just dump it on the external drive and then plop it back onto my iTunes once my computer is up and running again?

6 comments:

Celeste said...

yep. At least, that's what I did when I got a new laptop.

Unknown said...

Depends on if you care about saving ratings, play counts, album art etc. You can move your files manually to an external drive and then copy them back when your computer is fixed, or to a new computer. You will lose any data stored in the files. If you don't care about it, that will work.
If you care about it, there is a way to preserve that data. Go here for info. http://shrinkify.com/sp2 Let me know if you run into issues, I have done this many times.

Taylor Thompson said...

If you have an iPod, you can use it as an external hard drive. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1478 I did that when I got a new computer and needed to transfer all my music over.

joel and laura michelle said...

i had to do the exact thing you are doing about 1 month ago. make sure all of your music is in your "My Music" file in your My Documents. then when you sync up the external hard drive all of that will be included. then when you sync your external up to your new hardrive and when you open up iTunes, all of your music will transfer. no worries! good luck :)

April said...

no idea...sorry for the lame help!

NefariousRich said...

I just did this by following this instruction on apples website.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1364