I can be annoying. I can be hyper, shrill, naggy, and whiny. I have spent much of the past week being, as Chuck says, “EXACTLY” those things. Come on, seriously, I knew he was up to something so OF COURSE I’m gonna make things dramatical. Would you really expect anything less of me?
I tease him. RELENTLESSLY I taunt and nag, saying things like, “When are you gonna get me a ring? Is it sparkly? How’re you gonna give it to me? How much did it cost? Have you got it yet? You HAVE got it so how’re you gonna give it to me? Does it look like the one in the picture I gave you?” Anyway, you get the point. So all week he’s basically wanted to slap me upside the head… but he’s not that kind of boy so he’s refrained. Truth is, I didn’t KNOW he had something up his sleeve, I just strongly suspected… And since we’ve been together going on a year and a half, I can read him pretty darn well.
Keep these things in mind as I proceed with my story:
Friday night (11/8/2008) I came home from a long day of five shows and a surprise birthday party. We’d planned on going on “a dates” (Yes, a dateS… so what? We have inside jokes!), so I got to my house ready to veg for awhile and then head out to dinner or whatever Chuck had planned. I didn’t care. I was tired and I was going to let him be the man and plan the thing. He’d been texting me the whole time I’d been at the birthday party, “When are you coming? Have you left yet? Hurry. Be here by 6:30.” Well, he knows that I never obey him (HA), so I took my sweet time. When I got home I chatted with Kim, putted around my bedroom… whatever. We’re standing in my room and he finally grabs my shoulders and says, “I’m telling you that you need to pack an overnight bag. We’re going on a road trip.” Yeah right. Mr. Chuck was trying to give me a taste of my own medicine. But I was SOOOOOOOO not going to let him win. I rolled my eyes and said, “Yeah right,” and proceeding with my tinkering around. “I’m serious. Pack a bag with everything you’ll need for the next day.” Oh, you’re hilarious, Charles. You think I’m gonna fall for you teasing me as much as I’ve teased you the last week??? I THINK NOT! This went on for a good twenty minutes when I finally decided that maybe he was NOT kidding. I swallowed my pride and packed a bag, even though I was still pretty darn sure he’d take me out to dinner, drive around the block, and later say, “Ha ha. I got you!” Apparently he’s not as devious as I.
I get into the car and there sits our favorite road trip foods: Graham crackers with frosting, Cheez-Its, Triscuits, jerky, bananas (to satisfy my need to be a health food freak), AND a brown Carrabbas bag. I LOVE CARRABBAS! Yippee! OK- so now I’m thinking, “He’s serious.” YAY! I LOVE ROADTRIPS! Good “a dates,” Honey!
“Where’re we going??” On goes the hyper/annoying/naggywhiny button. “Cocoa?
I slyly sent a text message to a few, select people, “Chuck is taking me on an overnight road trip date.” The texts flowed in to confirm what I had been thinking, “It’s gonna happen soon.”
Finally- I didn’t even have to ask- he said, “Do you want to know where we’re going?” What? I don’t even have to milk this one at all? Lame… “Of course I do!” He then told me that we were headed to
Drive drive drive. Road trip games. I heard all about his grandparents, he heard all about my childhood obsession with The Boxcar Children. “Gimme a word and I’ll tell you a story…” “Scouts.” Drive drive. “Radio.” Drive. “Microphone.” Drive drive drive. Drive. “Railroad.” Have I mentioned that I love road trips?
At about 1 AM we arrived at our destination: Ocean Pointe Resort in

DOLPHINS ON MY BATHTUB TILE!!
Saturday morning was the best I’d had in a LONG LONG time . I decided to milk the experience for all it was worth so I took nearly TWO HOURS getting ready. My room had a jet tub. And I tell ya, this is a girl who LOVES bubble baths. GLORIOUS. Did I really wanna leave that bathtub? No… but check out was at noon and I figured I’d better let this cute boy get on with his plan. But yes, I WILL have a jet tub in the near future. I need it to survive.
We headed out for some grub. He’d done some research with the locals while I was being slow getting ready, and found out that down the road a ways there was a cute little beachside restaurant at the Cheeca Lodge. http://www.cheeca.com/ Great food. Great atmosphere. Everything was SOOOOOOO relaxing. It was AMAZING. AND there was a little jewelry shaped box in his right pocket…

“Let’s put our feet in the water.” Ah, yes. Here it comes. We giggled and rambled and then he said, “I have something for you.” Eyes wide, “A KITTY NAMED MEATLOAF?!?!?!” Yes. I love cats. We all know that. I fully plan on having a cat named Meatloaf, and my mom will own his brother, Meatball. ANYWAY- In the previous week I’d joked with him saying that he needed to give me a kitty (Meatloaf) with the ring on his paw. (I AM NOT SERIOUS ABOUT THAT PEOPLE, I just like to magnify my love of cats as to magnify his HATE of them- it’s terribly fun to get him riled up!) “DOES IT LOOK LIKE I HAVE A CAT HIDDEN IN MY POCKET?!?!?!” Ha ha ha. So there he did it: Got down on one knee as I sat on a rock. His pants were wet from the Atlantic water and it was quick and simple, “Amy, will you marry me.” I made the mistake of saying yes before I put the “If I can have a cat named Meatloaf” clause in the agreement, but whatever. I am sure that someday, when he sees the agony of me giving birth to his children, I will come home to find the cute little kitty Meatloaf basking in the light of my home.
THE RING: Just what I wanted. I had found a picture of what I wanted online and told him that it would be OK if he had one like it custom made. He obeys me. Hee.

Phone calls began. He called his parents. I called mine. He called his brother. I called my sister. There were tears, “It’s about time”s, and “DUH”s. And then we got on a boat to go snorkeling. I look GREAT in that mask.
There were a bunch of drunk, middle aged women on the top of the boat with us. As Chuck talked to his uncle Ron, the ladies overheard our new status and cheered and asked all kinds of questions. #1: WHERE IS YOUR RING? Duh people. I’m not gonna take a brand new ring SNORKELING! Ha ha. They were awfully cute though.
Snorkel snorkel. Pretty fishies! Lots of salt water. And then Chuck lost his snorkel. I figured it was gone, which was a bummer, but after about ten minutes of searching he announces that he’s found it. WHAT??!?! SERIOUSLY? And down to the bottom of the ocean goes Chuck Keeler for his $9 snorkel




Done snorkeling. Lots of congrats from the drunk middle agers, bugs biting us everywhere, but hey, it was lots of fun. Dinner was at a cute little Italian dive off the interstate, and the KEY LIME pie was INCREDIBLE! We spent dinner hardly talking to one another- sending out texts and making phone calls. Ha. We’re so totally romantic aren’t we?? NERDS.
Details are pending. But MARCH 25 in the
The Way HE Sees It...
Amy can be annoying. And hyper. And naggy. And I love her.
Aside from being annoying about, "When are you going to give me a ring?" and "Did you get me a ring?" and "Are you going to give me a ring tomorrow?… the next day?… this weekend?", being around Amy is something I love more than anything. I always have. I've known for the longest time I wanted to marry her. No doubts in my mind.
PRE-RING
It was a know fact since the early days of dating that Amy didn't want to rush into marriage. So, I took comfort in enjoying what would be a long courtship until she was ready to get married. We had talked about getting married since forever ago, and have always known it would happen, but it was always a far off thing. WELL… one day she decided, without telling me, that she was ready to get engaged. I was the last to know. Every girl in our ward seemed to know and suddenly every female around, including Amy, began with the comments. Comments like: "Gosh Chuck, what are you waiting for?? She's waaaaaiting…" and "you are so slow…" and my favorite…"for crying out loud, are you going to make her miserable forever and not give her a ring already???" Here I am thinking I was being the good boyfriend by not pressuring her into anything "too soon". Boy was I wrong! Oh, and this was a couple of months ago. Now what was I to do? First, I have to say I was thrilled. The day had come where I knew she was ready and excited for our plans to become a reality. Now a ring. We had looked several places. We looked on our trip to Sanibel Island, and in Utah, and here in Orlando. However, she found her favorite ring online. The ring was not available for purchase, so I set out to have a similar one custom made. With a brief set-back (the custom jewelry guy had a heart attack) the ring was now mine. But not mine for long. You see, the ring was not ready until the afternoon I wanted to take Amy to the Florida Keys.
KEY LARGO
Friday night, after a week+ of planning, booking, shopping, praying, and packing, I picked Amy up for the surprise trip. I had no doubt in my mind that I was to marry her. Like I said, I've known for so so long. It's a great feeling to know. I love her so much. I love everything about her (except for that awful never-ending fascination for cats!). I love being with her. We laugh so much. She is always happy to see me. I am always happy to see her. We miss each other when we are apart. We always have fun whether we're doing nothing or going to the Disney parks, or grocery shopping… whatever it is, we enjoy being with each other. K- back to the topic of Key Largo.
Friday night. As I said, I came to pick up Amy at her house. "Honey, pack a bag for an over-night trip. Bring clothes to swim in, clothes in case it's cold out, and whatever else you need. We're going on a road trip." Of course she didn't believe me and continued to take her sweet time, talking to her roommates, dilly-dallying around, and not getting ready. Haha. I had to tell her a million times how I was serious about the road trip. Finally she packed and we were on our way. I had in the front seat some take-out from our favorite restaurant, Carrabba's, along with some snacks I prepared.
With no idea as to where we were headed, Amy in her cute little way, asked repeatedly where we were going. At one point, she guessed, "The Keys? That would be cool!" "Yep, Key Largo to be exact."
The resort was great. She had the master bedroom, and I the children's room. In the morning I went down to the beach while she was getting ready. I went down to see what it was like and more importantly, to chat with the locals at the little café as to where I should take my fiancé-to-be.
I learned that Cheeka Logde in Key Largo was a local favorite, with a beach and nice dining. We ate a great lunch at an outdoor little restaurant on the beach. Classy and fun with a great view. The weather was great.
On a rock ledge after lunch, we sat and talked with our feet in the water. I don't remember the whole conversation. I don't think I was all that nervous. A little nervous, but not as bad as I thought I would be. I was REALLY REALLY excited to giver her the ring. That helped. I said "I have something for you" and then she says, in typical Amy fashion, "A kitty??" ……….. Ummmm, no. "I do not have a kitty here on this beach. Does it look like I have a cat right here?" Yeah. So funny! Then down on one knee… Now the ocean water came right up to the rocks. I knelt IN the ocean. I remember this next part really well, it's my favorite part. Right as I got down on one knee, Amy clapped her hands gently and said softly, "Yaaaaayyy" with a big smile. I loved that moment more than anything. The look on her beautiful face. The sparkle in her eyes. I love it. She said yes, we took pictures, and we headed to John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park to snorkel.
To finish the almost perfect day, we ate dinner at a hole-in-the wall Italian restaurant where we ate the most amazing Italian food and the best homemade Key Lime pie ever. Key Lime pie- get it? We were in the Keys. That's where it originated… I think.
A five-hour drive back to Orlando, two tired but smiling faces, and the beginning of an amazing and wonderful chapter of our lives together. It was such a great road-trip! I love you Amy.
















41 comments:
So I have already told you like a hundred times, but CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I am beyond thrilled for you both. I can't wait for the wedding!
p.s. Chuck, in case Amy didn't tell you, she is not allowed to marry you until I have met you first. That is all. :)
YAY!!! I love it! Congrats, lady! I remember chatting with you over MSN when you first started dating "the boy" and I'm so happy it worked out.
What a great post. Thanks for all the details (great to hear from Chuck too) and CONGRATULATIONS!
What a wonderful story! I like both points of view, and thanks to Chuck for remembering and mentioning the way Amy looked and smiled and said "Yay." That was my favorite part.
I loved your stories!!! I teared up reading them!!! I am SO happy for you both. I can't beleive my little Amy is finally getting married!!
Love,
Amy's Mom
I cannot stop smiling! I especially loved when Chuck said " I remember this next part really well, it's my favorite part. Right as I got down on one knee, Amy clapped her hands gently and said softly, "Yaaaaayyy" with a big smile. I loved that moment more than anything. The look on her beautiful face. The sparkle in her eyes. I love it. She said yes," It made me get emotional in a good way to think that you will have such a wonderful man to cherish you. It reminds me of my hubby. Yeah for good men!
Pam
Oh it almost felt like I was there! Thanks for the details! And the ring! wow! gorgeous!! Yay! We love that we can look forward to March 25th!! Wah hoo! Love, Karlene
Congratulations!! How exciting for you!
Congratulations Amy! Being married is the best and I'm super excited for you! Best of luck with all that is to come :)
Hooray, hooray, hooray!!!!
And that's all I have to say.
YAY! It's about dang time! And March is an AWESOME month to get married. Our anniversary is on the 26th, so remembering yours will be easy! :)
CONGRATS YOU TWO!!!
Congrats you two!!! I LOVE your story! It's so fun! Thanks for sharing it! I almost felt like I was right there!!!!! Good thing I wasn't...that would be a little awkward! :) Yay! Yay! Yay!!!!!! Wooooooohooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! (I'm a little excited for you, can you tell?)
This is the best blog entry I have and and will ever see! It made me cry all over again. I love you both. I'm so excited for you. Can't wait to see you in person... two more days! Love, Chuck's Mom
Yayness! Oh, I am so happy for you both! I already said this on Amy's facebook profile, but it's interesting that this happened this weekend because for some odd reason, the idea of Chuck proposing to Amy came to my mind while I was at work today. I was just doing my normal thing of stocking the beverages and stuff and a random thought came to me that was like "Hmm. I wonder when Chuck is going to propose to Amy. Maybe today? Nah, it will be some other time." Well, I guess it was some other time- it was the day before yesterday! lol Congratulations to you both!
Yay!! Awesome. Much love to you both. If you need to to compile some music and crap for the reception I'm sure I can borrow some stuff and throw a playlist together for you. Looking forward to March 25th. Congrats again!!!
Congrats Amy! I am so excited for you! Man, Utah in March will be great! Hopefully not too cold! :) I want to see more pictures of the ring. Close up!
Congrats! Can't wait to see you in a few months. . .married! :)
I think it was "office night" that really made this happen. Yep, I think that was the pivotal moment in this courtship. This is pretty much the greatest thing ever.
I've heard the story from both of you. But reading about it made me cry. I can't wait for that day when someone loves everything about me-- Chuck's side was VERY tender. :) Risking being a sentimental sap, you two are so good and I am really happy for you
YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!! I'm so excited!!!! I hope I'm not on choir tour over the wedding though!!! That would make me soo dang sad! I'll check and make sure when I get the chance, I don't think I will be but I had better make sure! I love you guys sooo much! CONGRATS!!! :D :D :D :D
Yippy skippy! Nice one Chuck! Let me assure you that life will NEVER be boring with Amy! She use to wake her parents at 5:00am by licking their faces and saying she was a puppy! Starting each day with that excitement will be such fun! Congrats! Love you Amy!
I forgot to say I LOVE,LOVE,LOVE your ring!
Ahhhh what fun! Good luck on the kitty. Myles tells Trav he wants one all the time... Trav SAYS he's allergic. I don't think so.
If chuck says that, don't let it stop you.
I think I might hate you a little, that was so perfect. You're so lucky--he's sounds like such a great great (uh, and CUTE--even after two hours snorkeling, which, let me assure you, the two uglies here would look like the s#@$ I cleaned off my kitchen floor last night) great great guy. Smart girl, taking your time to make a truly good choice. No regrets for you!
Congrats! So happy for you. I am glad you found your true love. There was a reason for Florida.
Congrats!
Congratulations! I am so excited for the both of you. You make a darling couple and I wish you the best! :)
Oh Amy!!! I am so happy for you!! It seems like yesterday we were driving around Salt Lake together getting ready to go eat somewhere and you were asking me about my marriage and what it was like and I just had this feeling and knew you would find out in the very near future. I am so happy and I miss you and love you lots!! I especially love how you have his point of view on your blog! So cute!!!! Let talk soon!!
Oh Amy!!! I am so happy for you!! It seems like yesterday we were driving around Salt Lake together getting ready to go eat somewhere and you were asking me about my marriage and what it was like and I just had this feeling and knew you would find out in the very near future. I am so happy and I miss you and love you lots!! I especially love how you have his point of view on your blog! So cute!!!! Let talk soon!!
Congrats Amy!!!!!! I'm so excited for you, and admittedly have been patiently waiting for this post :) Loves!
I knew this was happing soon...Congratulations!!!I can't wait to see you again, Amy, and to finally meet you, Chuck, the man who finally pegged her down! Keep us updated on the up coming details. LOVE TO ALL!!!
Oh...Amy! Chuck!! Congrats! That is you all over, and Chuck, you deserve her. Together you both will make a union so sweet and tender with sparkly giggles on top! I'm so thrilled for you. Thanks for sharing. I'm so happy for you.
Loves!
April
Okay, first off, I am so sad that I didn't get your picture texts! Stupid phone!
Second, way to go Chuck! You didn't even hint at it on Thursday. Way to be smooth.
Third, you guys did not date too long. I think long courtships are perfect.
Fourthly, I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU BOTH!!!!! What a wonderful new adventure. You guys are going to be best friends FOREVER!
Fifthly, Amy, your ring looks a bit familiar. I can't wait to compare!
Congrats you two! We love you guys and are so happy for you.
Love your ring. We are so excited for the both of you and your fun stories. I know that you two will be a fun couple and we love Chuck, we're excited for him to be a part of the family. CONGRATS... Can't wait until March. Never lose tha playfulness in your relationship.
Love you both
Di
WOAH!!!! soooo happy for this post & for this very exciting time in your lives! chuck sounds wonderful & the best part is, he is taking you to the temple. can't wait to hear how wedding plans go!! have so much fun. much love!
So I still remember that day at FHE last year when Chuck asked me about the new girl in the ward, and wanted me to introduce him to her... and then when I ran into Amy at Walmart one day and proceeded to give her the lowdown on the locals (but mostly the one I thought she should date) and then how every Thursday we'd get together at my house to watch romantic sparks fly during "The Office" (and I'm not talking Jim and Pam)... and then when Check and I talked for an hour outside the Orlando temple about how much he loved Amy and was planning to spend the rest of his life with her (that was over a year ago, by the way). As the first major endorser of this relationship, I couldn't be happier for the two of you!
Remember, though... I took Amy ring shopping way before Chuck did! (ok, Amy is the same ring size as my wife, and I needed a reference. But the fact remains).
YEAH! I'll see you guys in two weeks!
Amy, I think it's awesome that you would go to so much trouble just to punk all your friends, and that Chuck would help you out with that. Awesome!
Well, I'm not falling for it this time. You fooled me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
Oh Amy! I am so excited for you two! I have been waiting for this post for months...hahaha...sounds like you have to, hehe. Good luck with the wedding plans. He is a very cute boy!
congrats I am so happy for you.
Congratulations! A very fun post to read!
I am so stinking excited for you guys! Chuck is SO sweet to write his feelings about you. I was totally moved, you really have an AWESOME man, and I know you know it:-) CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!! Can't wait to meet him!
Congratulations! As Pam said "Yeah for good men!"
YAY YAY YAY! This has made my whole week! I'm soooooooooo excited for you, Amy! Much congrats and much happiness to you both. I'm sure you'll get your little meatball someday. I got my DaVinci after only 8 months of marriage!!! I never could have dreamed that Brent would surprise me like that!!!! Love you!!!!!
Post a Comment