Tomorrow is officially the end of an era.
We all know I've had lots of men in my life. Ha. HOWEVER, there have always been two guys, the bestest of my friends, who I thought would live, at least for another several years, in the world of singlehood with me. Well, honestly, I knew, and hoped that era of their lives would come to an end soon- for their sake- but for my own... well, I wouldn't mind more time at restaurants discussing the dramatics of men/women, going to movies together just to have something to do, and having more opportunities to whine about the lack of love in our lives.
Dave was the first to bite the dust. In the latter part of last year I knew he was a goner. Cute and fabulous little Natalie comes along, and all of a sudden "Amy Wednesday" is a thing of the past. SURE I'd moved to Florida- but that's besides the point. So Dave became an old married dude, (still as fun as ever), but an old married dude. Luckily I still had Sam the Bachelor in my life.
And then April came...
Sam got engaged. He threw me for a loop back in November when he told me he'd started dating Emily again. They'd dated earlier in the year and I thought she was FANTASTIC, but the timing just wasn't right at that point I guess. (I was ecstatic when he told me they were dating again. He was reluctant to tell me because, in his words, I would tell him he "was stupid." But I thought he was stupid for dumping her in the first place!) ANYWAY- so next thing I know he's flying to Hawaii and proposing to her and sets June 20 as his wedding date.
June 20 is tomorrow. I can't be there. I missed Dave's wedding and now I'm missing Sam's. This stinks. Sam and I survived nearly all of our single years together. (From the time I was 20 until now...) He dealt with me being lovesick and dramatic over Seth, DJ, Paul, Brant, JD, Chad, Ben, OTHER Paul, Chuck, and whoever else was in the mix during all that time. I can't even fathom the amount of money spent on our trips to the movies, Macaroni Grill, Mannheim Steamroller, Jazz games, plays, yada yada yada. Bottom line: He was always there for me. And I was always there for him. We had a good thing going on.
Side note: As part of a deal we'd made years before while sitting at a table at the Cafe Pierpont, Sam payed up when I was in Utah last month by taking me out to The Cheesecake Factory for dinner. He lost our bet. He DID get engaged first!
This post seems selfish for many reasons, but really, I wanted to post it to express how THRILLED I am for both of these guys. I am so thankful that they've played that part in my life. That we've all supported one another and had good times and been excited and sad for each other. It's amazing. And I am thankful for those years.
So, to Sam, who gets married tomorrow:
The 7 years of "The Eternal Bachelors" have come to an end. And I couldn't be happier.
CONGRATS TO SAM AND EMILY!!!


1 comment:
Duh, you could EASILY be doing something about this couldn't you?
We are all waiting on tenderhooks here.
Post a Comment