
So y'all know how I am making a conscious effort to save gas by leisurely driving along at 55 mph? Not only THAT, but I also put the perfect amount of air in all of Sophie's tires to ensure she's in tip top shape to get fantastic mileage. How, I ask, am I repaid? Sophie has gotten the WORST gas mileage EVER in the last week and a half. WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAT? NOT COOL.
So folks, what do I do to solve this problem? I think this weekend I will take her for a needed oil change, have them check her tires, and do WHAT ELSE? I need her to get her old, great gas mileage!
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
Disappointed.
Posted by
Amy
at
10:39 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Make sure you fill her up in the mornings. You get more gas for the money. Something about the cooler air that makes this so.
Pam
Hey Amy, so someone sent an email how to save gas. Some tricks are always fill up above half full, this has to do with the vapors not taking up more space. Also don't push the handle in all the way because this creates more gas vapors. Try those tricks. Can't wait to see you in just 2 1/2 weeks!!
Okay, so, first, filling up when it's cold only makes you cold. 1. The fuel is underground and insulated, and 2. it only condenses a small amount. Barely noticeable and surely not a free gallon or even an ounce of fuel. Second, the vapors are not regulated and the liquid is. That much is true, BUT, the pump gauges are tested for that stuff under crazy conditions to make sure it is fair nationwide, ie. people in Alaska don't get more gas than people in Texas. I can explain the gas gauge thing, too, but that just takes too long.
The best thing for you is to keep you car SUPER clean. When you go to the carwash get the undercarriage thing. Get it lubed when it needs it on the schedule for your car. Clean the injectors once every couple of months with that liquid stuff you can buy for $3. And don't use cheap fuel. I got bored last summer and compared the cheap ones to the nice ones in my own car and found that I actually saved about $20 a month using the mid-grade or the blend at Chevron. Cheap gas is not very pure and it leaves gunk in your engine.
Also, the 55MPH thing is just a general rule. It makes a significant difference if you are in a lab and there is no wind resistance. LOL. But in the really real world there are hills and humps and dirt and rain. Sometimes a higher RPM is what your car needs to be efficient. The best rule is to, (And I KNOW this is dangerous to tell YOU) accelerate quickly to the speed you are going to travel and try to maintain that speed.
And, last but not least, did you have your car tuned up after moving to Florida? If you haven't, you should. Different altitudes have different amounts of oxygen and moisture. Those things can change the burn time needed for your engine. Nothing special, just a regular tune-up to get your timing on.
Hope that helps. If you find anything else that works let us know, Sweetie!
BYE!!!
um, I don't do anything to help my car do better and we have the same car. I get about 33 miles to the gallon. Maybe quit worrying about it! haha RIGHT!
Post a Comment