Friday, March 28, 2008

Top Tens

I found this on someone's blog today and thought it would be a great addition to FLASHBACK FRIDAY

Top Ten Memories of Growing Up:



1. Memories with my sister- torturing her, loving her, playing with her. I did a post about that not too long ago so I'll spare y'all the details.

2. Writing, for the first time, in my journal about a boy I liked, then quickly tearing the pages out, sealing them in an envelope, and drawing an eye on it with the words, "DO NOT OPEN. I'M WATCHING YOU."

3. Being called a lesbian in 5th grade. Melissa and I were "Bobcat Bobbies" (a dream of mine) together and were bestest friends that year. Ashlee Field and Jamie Patterson began calling us lesbians and I didn't even know what that word meant. Then one day Mitch Meyer opened up the dictionary and SHOWED me what the word meant.




4. My friends of the 6th grade: Creating a singing group who's theme was, of course, "I Will Always Love You," having the "Boy Crazy Club" which I really wasn't thrilled about being a part of, having those same friends have "Pull of Amy's neck mole" parties, Jamie playing stripper in my basement, being obsessed with Michael Jackson, wandering around the "woods" and finding a bag with the name "John Deere" on it and thinking it was a body bag... etc etc etc... We also froze Haley Wiseman's bra and socks at a sleepover once...

5. The 5th Grade Strike of Mrs. Richardson's class. Joe McBride on his desk shouting "Strike! Strike! Strike!" For some reason that is burned into my memory...

6. Feeling like I sounded like Sleeping Beauty when I sang... but not singing in front of anyone but Elizabeth.

7. "Me and My Friends" concerts with Elizabeth on Christmas Eve.

8. The Chamberlains: My neighbors had girls Biff's age and younger- Jennifer, Judy, and Jill. (Jackie came along later but wasn't involved in all the play...) I would spend all of my time holding beauty pageants for the girls, playing orphanage with them, playing pioneers... SUCH good times.



9. ALWAYS wanting to be teacher's pet and cheating to do it. BAD AMY! I was particularly bad in the 4th grade when I had the most amazing beautiful teacher EVER. Mrs. Annalisa Smith. I wanted to be her. Every day she had a teacher's assistant that was determined by who had put their name in the can the most the previous day. (You got to put your name in the can for being good...) Whenever she would call my name I would take TWO little pieces of construction paper, write my name "front and back" and so it would double the times I was in there. I was always the assistant and got to sit by her several times a week. I have since repented. Ha ha.

10. Nathan Webster kissing me in the closet during his 6th birthday party. He really liked that fire truck I gave him...

Top Ten Memories of Junior High School:

1. Ha ha. This first one is terrible... In 9th grade, Mr. Holbrook's science class, I had a bit of an "accident" that involves girly things and it was absolutely mortifying.

2. The first day of 8th grade and going into Mr. Cunningham's health class in the armory- sitting down next to Heather Gibby... the rest is history.

3. 9th Grade: Spending all my time in Mr. Nielsen's 8th period writing notes to Jedd Yuhas. He was across the hall in biology and we would exchange notes after class. Sometimes he would begin the note with "Hey Sexy!" Scandalous. ;-) I still have all those notes somewhere...

4. 9th Grade: Heather "going out" with Scott, me "going out" with Jedd... both of us being broken up with and acting like we didn't care.

5. Central Singers Tuachan trip to St. George (8th grade). I stayed with Stacey Preece and Jamie Loock. I was a little beast.

6. 8th Grade: Lockering with Melissa Allphin next to JD Christensen, Brad Whitesides, Craig Kotter, and a bunch of other hot boys. Ha ha.

7. 8th Grade: Ms. Oberg's English class: We all had folders in the back of the room. Heather and I would snoop at all the "preppies" folders and read all of the notes about who had made out with who at the latest party.

8. 7th Grade: Wanting to be a cheerleader but striking a deal with my mom that I would audition for choir first. I did, made it, and was picked up at 5:30 AM and taken to Lorianne Dickman's house for "initiation." I had to wear a sign on me all day that said, "I made Central Singers, make me sing." I hated it and wanted to be a cheerleader. Ha ha ha.



9. Sleepovers at Heather's house. Sneaking out one night to go TPing with Melissa- thanks to her older bro Jeremy for driving us...

10. Aubrey moving in (Summer before 8th grade)- making me, Heather, Aubrey and Melissa the most fun girls EVER!

Oh! And one more: Lunch at the back corner of the room... Sunny D and a Lime popsicle. "Plastic chuck!"

Top Ten Memories of High School:



1. The Log in my locker sophomore year. Thanks Jason Hyde for the memories.

2. Having to kiss Paul Wilhelm for the first time in front of BOTH of our mothers. We were playing Rolf and Liesl in The Sound of Music and his mom was the director- my mom was in the show. We blocked the scene and they watched us as we awkwardly kissed for the first time and told us to "hold it till we tell you to stop!"

3. Dragging a shopping car behind Travis Chamberlain's car in the Wal-Mart parking lot.

4. Sidewalk chalking every weekend of my sophomore year.

5. Jordan Garn hanging around my locker junior year and wishing he wouldn't take up so much of Gloria's time...

6. LUNCH! Always going to McDonald's or Arby's with Licia, April, and Heather and listening to Jewel's "Foolish Games."

7. Seeing Celine Dion's "It's All Coming Back to Me" music video at a stomp sophomore year. Changed my life. HA HA.

8. Heather being obsessed with Mr. Cheshire and climbing into the back of his pickup one day. Also driving past his house constantly. I can still smell your white car, Heather!

9. Making Lace at the end of junior year. Finally. Annnnnd then being bitter that I should have made Laytones and they didn't put me in... Ah, the drama.

10. Driving to Cotillion with Paul, Spencer Dierenfeldt, and my friend Melissa Porter. Paul was driving and threw his gum out the window... Melissa was in the back seat waving her hand out the window and then pulled it in, gum in hand, and said, "Is this yours???"

Top Ten Memories of College:


1. Ma Skidmore and the Play-Dough (Ricks 00-01)

2. Becoming a Young Ambassador (BYU 2004) For the first time in my life I was speechless and so excited that I couldn't DO anything.

3. Extravadance- Alicia and I made our own show in our apartment with paper ballet costumes. (Ricks 99-00)

4. Stacia stealing remotes from guys' apartments (Ricks 99-00)

5. Barry Manilow nights with Yissa and talking online to Brant while looking like "a fat, twelve year old elf. Basically that whole semester of living with Yiss was ridiculously fun!!!!


6. Breaking my nose twice in a week. (Ricks 00-01) Having to wear a NOSE CAST during Mothers Week.

7. Being in a Korean orphanage while on tour with Young Ambassadors- one of the most touching experiences of my life. (BYU 04-05)


8. Tyler and Colby wearing Licia's dresses...






9. Rollerblading with Licia down the big hill in Rexburg. Stupid girls... AND going running at night with Cecilia- she ALWAYS face planted it somehow.

10. Leaving my roomies of 1999-2000. I thought life was over. Tears tears tears.


AND ONE MORE!!! Licia killing our pet frogs, Woody and TaTonka, with PineSol... only they came back to life hours later- we emailed a retraction to their obituary.

One that doesn't apply to me... Top Ten Memories Since I Got Married.

I tag ALL of you! This was goods therapy for me tonight... I needed some serious down time. :-)

11 comments:

Trever and Heather said...

Wow that was one seriously long post. I may have to break that up into sections if I ever have time to do it what with moving next week.

Anyway Amy- I love your guts. I'm so VERY glad I had to take 8th grade health class and learn about STD's so you could have twins named Garth and Grizzelda (sp?) and die of aids. Good stuff.

Unknown said...

For the record it was ME driving. I rolled down the window to spit my gum out. It was Melissa who brought her hand forward to show me the gum. :) I just remember seeing this hand come forward to my right and a voice saying "Is this yours?".

HEY! We're coming to Orlando on June 1st-8th. Hook us up with free stuff!

Jamie said...

Ashley and Jamie Patterson were SOOO MEAN in elementary school! They called me names too, and I came home crying. I was a Bobcat Bobbie, and loved it! I got to boss the little kids around and give them "red cats". The Tuacan trip was...interesting! My mom was about ready to drop you off somewhere and have you get your own ride back to Layton! I am sure we have all gone through our bratty phases though, I know I did. Thanks for this post, Amy! It brought back memories. (By the way, was I the Jamie that was stripping in your basement and obsessed with Michael Jackson? I liked Michael Jackson, but I don't remember stripping. lol)

Anonymous said...

No Barry Manilow nights! Love, Yissa!

Amy said...

OH MY GOSH, YISS!!! THANK YOU FOR REMINDING ME!!!!! Duh. It's so weird how sometimes I leave out that section of my life... ha ha. The list has now been amended, Ha ha!

Zachary, Christen, and Chloe said...

I forgot about when you broke your nose twice! Sad!

Melissa Garn said...

I had somehow supressed memories of being called a lesbian. Thanks for reminding me. I may need therapy now. :) That must be why I scratched an x through their faces on my class picture that year. Being a bobcat bobby with you was the BEST EVER!! I loved your post.

Katie said...

That was really fun to read! I had to comment, though, because I think I know Spencer Dierenfeldt! They were in my ward in WA. His mom was my Merrie Miss teacher (I think) and she taught us how to do toll painting. :) The one thing I remember most about them, though, is how they taught us to spell their last name. It's like the Mickey Mouse Club song.

"D-I-E...R-E-N...F-E-L-D-T!"

Ashlee said...

AMY I AM THE WORST PERSON EVER!!! I promise I am so much nicer than I was when I was in elementary school!! I do feel pretty good that a few of your memories include me, although I don't know if they are good memories. I love the John Deere one though, so classic!

Ashlee said...

I feel so horrible after I kept reading. I made Jamie cry! It's so funny because I guess I was one of those people who made fun of people to make myself feel better or something because I am the most oversensitive person alive and I spent most of Junior High and High school crying. Maybe I deserved it. I really feel so bad now. I feel like I was a terrible person. I tried to leave Jamie a message to say sorry but I couldn't figure out how!

Anonymous said...

ok, why am I not on here somewhere?! I mean, come on Maimsiepoops! I'm like, your favorite! Ok, nevermind, I don't want your stories of me on here.. they're all to uh.. memoriable haha! ;)
:D Kallie :D