Monday, October 02, 2006

Sentimental Ramblings and Other Junk :-)

I miss my Provo...

And Layton... and PEOPLE!

Yeah OK- so I can admit it- I finally hit the point of homesickness last night. Now I hardly ever post sentimental thoughts/emotions on the blog... but here I go.



Last night as I was watching Conference online at BYUTV.org, I ran across a program they ran in between sessions called "Young Ambassadors: Journey Through China." There, on my computer screen, was an hour full of memories of my YA days... people, the YA show, events from our China tour- all being thrown at me. I LOVED IT. But, I felt SO far removed from it all. It catapulted me into a bout of homesickness and sentimentality. I wouldn't ever change that fact that I am here, but I think we all have to have moments of wanting "home." Yeah, I miss my family, friends, and my pets. I miss jumping in my car (even though I HATED the car I was driving... hee hee) and driving wherever I wanted- even though gas prices were killing me.

I am CRAVING a J-Dawg, BYU creamery ice cream (Peanut Butter Cup and Raspberry Cream Cheese), The Brink Oven "Market Room Buffet," and Costa Azul (or Costa Vida in SLC-Layton-Ogden area).

Random Facts of Amy's Life in Hong Kong:

* I change my clothes roughly 15 or more times per day (Seems as if I have gone back to childhood when I used to change my clothes all day for no reason and always ended up in the same outfit... a purple and white polka dotted sun dress thing...)

* I encounter unknown smells at least 10 times per day. Some of these smells- well... I just don't like them. Yuck. I am craving the fresh air of Utah in Autumn.

* I come across mystery meat at least twice per day. And for those of you who understand my HUGE dislike of dead fish... well, I try and stay away from the meat counters in the grocery stores. The other day a fish head was rolling around on a counter and I really about DIED.

* I love my iPod. LOOOOOOVE my iPod. I never thought I would be one of those obnoxious people with the iPod earphones in their head 24-7, but I to believe I am becoming one. Ha ha. Just kidding, not really. But I love it for my walks/runs around the complex at night, and for my standby days at work. Thanks to everyone who pitched in to get it for my birthday!

* I read The Da Vinci Code in about four days. I am now starting The Chronicles of Narnia (Thanks Tom Every!) It's like 800 pages. I will probably finish it sometime next week. Did I mention I have TONS of time to READ?

* I still get really confused as to what side of the road we are on- or what we're supposed to be on. It all just confuses me. I feel disoriented. I ride busses all day long for transportation and it still weirds me out. Roundabouts are REALLY bizarre when going the "wrong way"- which is the "right way" here in Hong Kong.

* Being here no longer feels like a vacation. It's just life. It's where I live. Like at home, after work I come home, make dinner, and do whatever. I feel like I need to be out sight seeing or something ALL THE TIME- but wait, at home I don't spend my evenings visiting the landmarks of Utah- not ever night anyway. :- ) So on my days off I think I am going to explore the touristy things this month. I am already coming up with good things for my visitors to do! HEY- I AM BOOKING MY EXTRA ROOM. I need dates from people! :-) YAY!

It's too late to be writing tonight. I have lots all sense of wit and entertainment in my writing. I need to sleep. All is well! Hong Kong is stunningly beautiful at night and I feel EXTREMELY blessed to be here. I love my job, and the people I work with are great. All is well in the HK.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there, Amy. Narnia should hold you until I get something off to you. Take care!

Trevor

Matt Armstrong said...

I know how the homesickness feels! Hang in there, and have fun learning and experiencing things that most of us won't ever get to experience. That way, when you get home, the J-dawg will taste so much better.

I could ship you one, if you want, but I don't think it would hold up well in the international mail... :)

Take care.

Anonymous said...

I love that picture of us!!! It's awesome!!! Yeah, you'll be fine Amy, it'll be sooner than you think that we'll be doing our sno cone runs :P and remember, if you come home in March, we're going to Little Women at The Hale :D hehehehe yeah, I LOVE YOU AMY!!!!!