Wow. So this past week has been- and the week to come will be- full of changes in my life!!!
Really, when it rains it pours- and with the way this weekend has been I really have just stepped back and gone "WHOA." The fact that I am graduating on Friday is really starting to hit me, my dad got remarried yesterday, AND we located my house that fell down the hill. There is a loooong backstory to the last situation, but its kewl, and for those of you who knew what my little house used to look like, you will be amazed at how great it looks now!
Let's start with the story of my house: As most of you know, I grew up in Layton. I lived in a little white house with pretty red brick. Well, five years ago this summer, my little house "fell down the hill" of Heather Drive when a landslide occured. The landslide destroyed three houses, and ours was removed from it's foundation after we evacuated, and put on the front lawn. Soon after that, a big truck came and took my little house away and put it in a field by Grocery Outlet. It stayed there for awhile, and was then moved to another field up by Hill Air Force Case. More than a year ago, our little house disappeared from the field. We've had no clue where it was- until two days ago. Kate, my new step-sister, was on a tour with her high school interior design class. Next to the house they visited, she was told, was a housee that had been involved in the landslide a few years ago. IT IS MY HOUSE. On Friday, before a family dinner, I went to see my little house. I had this weird pit in my stomach as I drove closer and closer to it, and when I finally saw it, my heart was really happy. The outside of the house looks FANTASTIC. It is now a grey-ish tan colored stucco with stone where the brick used to be. Can I just say that it is really freaky to l0ok at the house you lived in for 15+ years- know it is your house- but not really recognize anything?
Then I went inside. Everything- for the most part- has been gutted. As I stood in the bedroom I grew up in, everything finally hit me. I was gone when the landslide happened, and I hadn't lived at home for two years- but as I stood in my little bedroom I finally- after five years- grieved. The thing that set me off was that among everything being gutted around me, the wallpaper from my bedroom had recently been torn off the walls and was in a pile on the floor. My pink wallpaper, and my flowered wallpaper, was scattered in shreds all over my room. It really made me sad- sad for the fact that that's MY home, and after five years I was finally in there again- only nothing was the same. Just lots of hilarious memories that now seemed weirdly ghostlike. (Yeah- I am in a dramatic writing mood tonight- can ya tell??) It was SOOOOO bizarre to look out my bedroom windows and not see what belongs there... the brown house from across the street on Heather Drive. I have never had such a weird, surreal, feeling in my life. So I sat in the middle of my room among the white dust and construction, and for the first time that I can remember- I cried that my house "fell down the hill." There's this old Disney cartoon called "The Little House." It is the story of my little house. Ü The last time I saw my house it looked something like this:
Now, after five years of being a sad little house, my little house that used to be white with red brick, now looks like.... (Drumroll please...)
If you look at the carport you can see that it's still buckled a bit- thanks to the trauma the poor house has been through!!! BUT, I am so happy that the little house I grew up in is finally in a neighborhood again. The inside of it is going to look great- they are keeping our bathroom shower tiles- which is nice. SOMETHING from my old home will still be recognizable!
Anyway, wow- I have tons more to write about. BUT I have a final tomorrow- I should be studying- not blogging! :-) More later!


4 comments:
Wow! The change is soooo dramatic! Did you take any pictures of the inside? I can't believe that it actually slid down a hill and now looks like a new home! Crazy! Anyway, I have that same final to study for to I better get going.
That is completely unbelievable! So many of my childhood memories are in that house! I am amazed at what they were able to do with it. Not only is it amazing that you actually found the house, but HOW you found the house. That is just so bizarre. What a cool story...
I know! Isn't it crazy? When I went in there I was thinking of al the sleepovers we would have there in my room- watching "Sister Act" and "Father of the Bride" and eating pizza. Ha! Remember that time we made up a "Girl Talk Gameshow"? You were the announcer and for some reason our theme song was "Wind Beneath My Wings." I think I still have the tape of you doing that somewhere.. ha ha.
If you ever find that tape, I would love to see it! We did so many plays there, there have got to be some tapes around somewhere!
Post a Comment