Monday, July 13, 2009

Woes of the Jobless

On a whim I applied for a job as a part time cashier at the BYU Bookstore. Bring in a little extra money, relive my glory days at BYU, be a few feet from Creamery ice cream- ya know? I've done that job before so surely they'll hire me. Let's be honest, it's not like it takes much SKILL.

I have never NOT gotten a job that I applied for. Oh wait, once. I applied for a staff position with BYU's Ed Week. But who cares. I got hired at Hong Kong Disneyland a few weeks later.

I got an email the other day. My application was reviewed and "Unfortunately, it was not selected for further consideration at this time."

...

...

...

I can't even get hired as a cashier at the BYU Bookstore.

Guess no one in the real world cares if you've performed professionally for the past three years.

What in the world is an ex-princess supposed to do with herself? Sigh.

12 comments:

Jason Graham said...

Live it up! Its summer! You're in Utah... do you know how many cool things you can do outdoors here? Keep lookin, you'll find something... but in the mean time go play! :)

Allison Juarez said...

What about birthday parties? Yeah it's a step down, but I'm sure the little girls in your ward would love to have Belle surprise them at their birthday party. And it might be really fun for you!

Aubrey said...

That stinks. Maybe you're just over-qualified.

Ex-princesses...it makes me think of the former high school football stars who show up at the HS reunions fat and bald and still reliving the glory days. But you're not fat and bald. Too bad we don't have a local broadway performing troupe (do they still have troupes?).

Unknown said...

Nobody is hiring right now - even the Church has put out a hiring freeze. It's a terrible time to be looking for work.

Grandma Robinson said...

What is a princess supposed to do? The answer is given at the end of all fairy tell books -- "They get married and live happily ever after and have lots of babies".

Hannah said...

that was so sad! I almost shed a tear about it! Maybe you should apply at Wal-Mart.... hahaha! (But then again, if you weren't hired there, you might go and slit your writsts...I know I would! HAHAHAHA!)

shirley keeler said...

You were getting to old for that 'straight out of school" princess competition ahead
! And who wants to be demoted to fairygodmother!....you should try for Wicked at a community theatre! any part time job to keep you busy...and keep music as your passion. I have had to go from performing in a band in my youth, to singing in Church and being ok with it...the best part is singing at home at the piano,and knowing I am getting my frustrations out.
Move on Ams....have a baby...sing lullabys ;) There is a time and a season for all things, and your talent can be shared in many Christlike unselfish ways...When we feel humility, it helps us portray our talent. :)

John and Tawnya Hoover said...

How about.... sell the house and move back to florida where ill be waiting with open arms!!!!

Chuck Keeler said...

Let's remember everyone- all the Utah theaters LOVE Amy and so many are dying to have her for their own.. but being the professional Equity card-carrying actress that she is, they can't have her.

If there's one thing I know about you, hun, it's that amazing doors always open up for you. You are still so young and your princess/performing days aren't only behind you. They are right now and well into your future. No need to 'move on'. That's ridiculous. Our babies' spirits are chillin' up above waiting as they have been for thousands (maybe billions) of years. Let's bring 'em on down at some point... but a little more waiting wont hurt anybody.

You are at Disney right now performing for thousands of people as one of the only paid singing Disney princesses on the planet.. I love that. And you'll be back at it again in a couple of months. What an experience.

Remember- I'll buy your plane tickets/hotel rooms for the next ten thousand auditions you feel like going to. I love you!

Chuck Keeler said...

I love that 'happily ever after' part. Let's remember everyone- all the Utah theaters LOVE Amy and so many are dying to have her for their own.. but being the professional Equity card-carrying actress that she is, they can't have her.

If there's one thing I know about you, hun, it's that amazing doors always open up for you. You are still so young and your princess/performing days aren't only behind you. They are right now and well into your future. No need to 'move on'. That's ridiculous. Our babies' spirits are chillin' up above waiting as they have been for thousands (maybe billions) of years. Let's bring 'em on down at some point... but a little more waiting wont hurt anybody.

You are at Disney right now performing for thousands of people as one of the only paid singing Disney princesses on the planet.. I love that. And you'll be back at it again in a couple of months. What an experience.

Remember- I'll buy your plane tickets/hotel rooms for the next ten thousand auditions you feel like going to. I love you!

Chuck Keeler said...

I should quit my job and we could play all day!

I love that 'happily ever after' part. Let's all remember- all the Utah theaters LOVE Amy and so many are dying to have her for their own.. but being the professional Equity card-carrying actress that she is, they can't have her.

If there's one thing I know about you, hun, it's that amazing doors always open up for you. You are still so young and your princess/performing days aren't only behind you. They are right now and well into your future. No need to 'move on'. That's ridiculous. Our babies' spirits are chillin' up above waiting as they have been for thousands (maybe billions) of years. Let's bring 'em on down at some point... but a little more waiting wont hurt anybody.

You are at Disney right now performing for thousands of people as one of the only paid singing Disney princesses on the planet.. I love that. And you'll be back at it again in a couple of months. What an experience.

Remember- I'll buy your plane tickets/hotel rooms for the next ten thousand auditions you feel like going to. I love you!

Wm/Sue Tribe said...

play the damsel in distress with your prince...that makes for a fun weekend.
April