
I thought that beginning in November my life was going to slow down. Nope. I looked at the calendar and realized that November is now OVER. WHAT THE??? Apparently it's now December. But somehow, it still seems odd for the calendar to be saying, "YAY! Christmas is coming!", when it's still 75 degrees and the palms trees are blowing softly in the breeze.
* Shrug *
1. I have a love/hate relationship with wedding planning. As I'm sure many of you have experienced, it's fun to research and get ideas and blah blah blah, but I have come to the conclusion that I would like to throw all my ideas at someone and tell them to plan it. Ha! I have decided that in world of wedding, I am NOT a control freak. If someone else can take my ideas and make them look pretty, I am so willing to let them do it. Any takers?
Continuing on with this subject:
I love the Joseph Smith Memorial Building. I love this reception center called Northampton House. I have never loved stake centers. Now of course I mean no ill will towards those of you who have had lovely receptions in LDS church buildings- but because of all of YOU, I am possibly leaning towards this option. We'll see. I am just weighing what the monetary difference will be after having a church decorated in a way I'd be happy with and buying a cake and blah blah blah. Because of my previous comment I may just turn it over to a reception site and be happy with that. So I need some responses: Pros and Cons. Stake center VS reception center. Battle it out, ladies.
Next:
I grew up in Layton. If I had the reception at said Northampton House, in American Fork, would I lose a lot of my Laytonites who otherwise would have come had I held the reception in Salt Lake? I really love this place... thanks to my soon-to-be-sister-in-law Kristy for telling me about it.
So all of the pictures of today's post are little wedding inspirations. While, of course, the colors are not all correct, I am loving these things. Yup.
Yes. I am thankful for wedding planning. Even if it causes me to lose sleep because my mind is going a zillion miles per hour and I am dreaming of flowers and Tiffany Blue shoes. (PS: If any of you know where I can find some cute Tiffany Blue shoes... I need to know!)






2. Hopefully this is the week we'll be hearing about Chuck's job offer. I am so grateful that that boy is so good at what he does! Seriously- I don't know many people who can walk into jobs like he can... Both of us seem to be able to do that. We are blessed!!!!
3. My cousin Yissa will be welcoming a baby girl into the world on Tuesday! That's the plan anyway...
4. The Christmas season is now officially in full swing. I've been cranking the Christmas music as I gather address, google everything "wedding," and pull my hair out over how much it's all going to cost. Thank you Bing Crosby and Judy Garland for easing my nerves.
5. I went to JoAnn's yesterday and refrained from taking advantage of the 60% off Christmas sales. That took discipline. I am thankful that I have such an attribute. (And it also helps that I took every extra penny out of checking and put it into savings...)
6. My sister is almost done with school for the semester! Yippee! That means only ONE more, Biff! You can dooooooooooooooo it!
7. I had a GREAT Thanksgiving. I had to be at work for all five shows that day, and I have to say that it is the most pleasant day I have ever had at the stage! It really was great to have everyone in happy moods. We were smiling, laughing, being nice to one another... everyone was hanging out in the Green Room... it was awesome! And the food was great. I was also able to come home to a bunch of fun people from the ward and have another Thanksgiving dinner with them. I am thankful that Hannah, my roommate, was able to take over everything and get the food made while I was at work all day. She's the best!
8. Peppermint ice cream with hot fudge is heaven sent. I love it.
9. I'm thankful for a wonderful ward and stake here in Orlando. Today we had a lesson by the stake that laid out guidelines for "A Celestial Life". The lesson was simple, with lots of those "seminary answer" kinds of ideas, but I was reminded that it IS the simple little things that really make a difference in our lives.
10. Thanksgiving leftovers make me REALLY happy.
11. Yoplait now has a "Raspberry Cheesecake" yogurt that's LIGHT. (AKA Fat Free). It's yummy!
12. Becca and Heidi are coming back for their Disney callbacks! Crossing fingers for them!
13. I love my ring. It sparkles.
14. I am grateful for a certain lady who made my Christmas, three years ago, the most memorable ever. She knows who she is. (The pictures are a little bit of me reminiscing...)




And for some reason I don't have a picture of my very favorite of the gifts. On Christmas Eve, there was a knock at my door and Santa's "helper" was there with a bag for me. Inside was a FANTASTIC blanket that, to this day, I use every single night.
15. Being the nerd that I am, I have been really inspired to recommit to my journal writing in, possibly, a new way: LDS Journal
And that concludes this edition of Sunday Sunshine. I want comments. :-) Hee.
Sunday, November 30, 2008
Sunday Sunshine... Ramblings of a Soon-to-be-Bride's Mind...
Posted by
Amy
at
3:55 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
19 comments:
I haven't heard of that journaling site. I looked at it and I think I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for the tip. (My hand doesn't work the way it used to, since we're so used to never writing anymore!)
If you've decided against Northampton House, then definitely don't look at the pictures at the following address:
http://dustinizattphoto.blogspot.com/2008/09/aubrey-and-russell-wedding-082108.html
I used to teach in American Fork and the bride is a former student. The photographer is also amazing.
Make sure you have looked at http://snippetandink.blogspot.com/
And personally, I'd spend my money on a good photographer. We skimped a little in that department and I truly regret it.
Planning a wedding is very stressful! But it will all be worth it in the end. I think your ideas are cute and I love the invites you found! I will have to say that you might lose some Laytonites if you have the reception in AF. But you're the bride, and it's your day. (There is the Wight House in Bountiful and The Vicoria in West Layton). Good luck with everything!
I SOOO wanted to not have my wedding reception at a church. I actually thought I wanted it at Thanksgiving Point in the Garden Room. Now that I look back, I'm glad that we didn't do that (not for the Layton-nites that wouldn't have come...if they don't care enough to drive then PHOOEY on them), because it is so small. That's the problem I've found with most reception centers. They are old houses turned into fancy reception centers, which means there are a lot of little rooms and maybe one big room. But it means that you don't get to see everyone and unless the Bride and Groom intend to stay planted in one spot all night (which I refused to do) it sends guests on a wild goose chase. So if you can find a BIG reception center, that won't require a lot of decorating I say GO for it. Especially if their prices include rentals and food or photography. It sure is hard to make decisions though. Glad mine is over!
You think Jamie means the Victorian? I think you'll lose people if they have to drive all the way to AF, especially if gas prices go up again, but people who really want to be there will be. Having had my reception in a church because we were poorish and I had no choice, I say if it's an option--don't, don't DON'T have it at the church.
I did NOT like my reception, but I was also pretty freaking stupid about it and didn't know what I wanted and have an overbearing mother in that department who seemed to forget it was my wedding and not hers and I didn't want it to look like we'd decorated from Michael's inspiration. And she wouldn't let me have a colored cake, even though I was paying for it. Please someone tell me why I didn't assert myself more?
You've picked lots of cute stuff. Cute seems the wrong word--it looks so elegant and nice. If you want someone to plan your wedding, Heather would be good, but she's already so stressed out. I loved her wedding--she did a good job.
Anyway, my vote is for the Joseph Smith Memorial building, but I'm curious to see what the Northhampton House would be like.
I had my wedding at the Victorian and loved it. They took care of the photography, food & everything. I just yes to stuff the offered and it was all taken care of. I would not of liked to have it inside but I loved the look of the outside of the house and the yard was awesome. It was perfect, if I did again I would do the same thing. Less stressful, if you decide to go AF I will drive. You are the bride do what makes you happy. You only get married once.
I've been catching up on my journal, too. It is the ever poopness of my life when I get behind. But I have taken a leaf out of your book and have been doing a "blog" of sorts... I haven't "upgraded" to the real deal yet... Give me time, eh?
I am grateful for you, too. :)
Amy, you should also look at Alpine art Center. They do the food, have nice tables and chairs, glass drinkware, real siverware, real plates. THey have tv reantall, a grand piano someone can play, and not much decorating is needed - jsut florals mostly. To have someone do it all, come up with the right amount of food, set it up, and clean it up is worth a lot. Often when you do it yourself you might over spend on food you really won't need. Plates, cups, serving ware etc all add up. Then someone has to put it all together and clean it up for you.
Also, there is brand new place for receptions in HIghland. I saw an ad, but can't recall the name.
(this is Janice, Chuck's aunt)
We also had wedding dinners at the JOseph Smith building - they do a great job and their food is delicious - receptions also.
Have it at a place where you don't have to do all the work!
Allie's decor at their stake center cost $3000, they had a lighted tent and everything hung from the ceiling- but even though it was nice, it was still a stake center in the end.
That reception place is not the place I was talking about (Alisha and Jason Hyde) I'll try to find it- it was in the South Jordan area at least...
Hooray for blue shoes! I'll be angry if you don't wear them...
Also- you could have the reception in the Orangerie at Red Butte (where my luncheon was) I've been to a couple of awesome ones there (since mine)- they have nice tables, linens and chairs and it's large enough to accomodate everyone though I don't know how the price compares to JSMB (Orangerie is $1500- everything else is extra though, you have to use one of their caterers- but I loved our catering).
I haven't read all the other comments, but here are my two cents. I think you might lose some Layton-ites (not me, of course) if you have it in AF. But I do think that the people that really love you will come no matter where it is. As for a venue, I honestly think if you can afford it, you should go with a reception center of some kind. I would have gone nutso bonkers if I'd had to pull together decorations for a cultural hall reception. For my reception, all I had to do was choose tablecloth colors and flowers and it magically looked fabulous. The beautiful thing about a reception center is that the room is already pretty. All you need to do is add flowers and it's an instantly beautiful event. Just my opinion. If you are considering doing it in Davis County, you should talk to Torrey Mulford. She had her reception at this place in Farmington (like a city building or something) and it was beautiful. I don't know how much of the decorating she had to do, though. Good luck figuring things out!
One more thing. When you pick a place for the reception (assuming it will be the same day as the sealing), pick one close to the temple! You think you'll have tons of time to drive back and forth, but the less driving you have to do the better! I'm done now. I promise. I think.
I so want to be your wedding planner!! Please pick me!
Seriously, we will talk when I come down.
And I would just like to say that there will be friends flying in from other states and even other countries for your wedding. If people can't drive from Layton to American Fork for you, they suck, period.
I don't know how much of our conversation you remember from Hill's reception, but here's SOME of it again... since you asked:)
We had two receptions: one in a stake center and one at a country club. The cost difference between these two was only about $500 by the time all decorations, food, cake, etc were taken into account.
(Please remember... I didn't really care about either reception other than we wanted a chance to see our friends after getting married and my colors were black and white.)
I put my mother-in-law-to-be in charge of the reception in Idaho. She chose to use the stake center. I gave her the colors and let her do what she wanted. She decided to add a little more color and used a lavender and light green in addition to black and white... it turned out beautiful and I didn't mind one bit. The decorations were rented, the cake was purchased and made by a family friend, the food was made/purchased in bulk (extra cake, nuts, creampuffs, fresh fruit, mints, etc...) and actually turned out to be one of the best looking stake center receptions I've seen. This option cost less, however, she was way stressed out with trying to get everything set up in time, round up family and friends to help, had to arrange for a team to man the kitchen to warm/assemble/serve/maintain the food and drink tables, get ready, attend the reception, and then spend the next 4-5 hours afterward to clean up... and there was way too much food left over.
I put my mom in charge of the reception in Arizona. She chose to go with the country club route. We were not members of the club but had a friend that was willing to "sponsor" the reception (in other words give us permission to use the club under his name). My mom got a list of their food options ... she decided on a hot/cold buffet rather than a sit down dinner. She went down the list of food options and just picked out what sounded good to her (fresh fruit, fresh veggies, chicken fingers, hotroll sandwiches, cold finger sandwiches, cheese samplers, and many others that I can't even remember now....) and let the club's organizer know what she wanted and an estimated number of people that might attend. She told the organizer how she wanted the room arranged and that the colors were black and white. My mom had to be in-charge of providing center pieces and any other "special decorations" that the club didn't just provide, however, the club would set-up any extra decor that my mom DID provide. She didn't have to rent anything extra in terms of decor because the club already had an acceptable assortment of options for our liking. The cake (all white frosting decoration... with flower toppers made by yours truly) was made by a local bakery and delivered to the club on the day of the reception....
side note: make sure to cut and serve your cake early in your reception... this way your guests actually get to enjoy it with you and you don't get stuck trying to give it away or eating it all yourself! Our Idaho cake was in my mother-in-law's freezer for 7 months before it was all gone. Aside from the very top layer, the AZ cake was gone the night of the reception... and it was SOOOOOOO yummy!
Back to my story: All in all the most stressful part about the club route was trying to come up with center pieces for the tables (and I don't even really remember what they were... like I said, I wasn't into the details) and getting them there in time for the set up. Other than that, the club staff did everything else. They setup, maintained, served, stayed out of the way when it was time to dance, neatly cleaned things up afterward, returned our items, and let my mom know what had been eaten/used with a bill at the end of the night (yes they had given her an estimate before she committed to the deal). The total came to less than $3000 (for around 200 guests) and a whole heck of a lot less stress.
Our pictures turned out nice at both locations and that is where you remember the event anyway... and where your kids will "remember" the story of your event. People will think it is great when they are there, but will forget soon enough... only you will remember your reception "that way".
All in all, we liked both receptions and got to see friends and family at both... which is the reason we even decided to have them in the first place. However, the country club was our favorite of the two... there was a whole lot less stress, better food, more fun, and yes... there was no basket ball hoop incorporated into the decor!
I think that the main thing to keep in mind is the reason you are even doing this... to introduce your true love to the ones you love. Don't get flustered over the details... because something (probably more than one) will go wrong on your special day(s)! Yes, it is a party that you only get to do once, but don't make yourself so stressed out that you can't enjoy it yourself, because then it won't be an enjoyable memory anyway! Just keep it simple with a few main ideas you like and don't sweat the little things.
Oh, in terms of a location... the people who really do care will make the drive. It's not like you are asking the "Layton" people to miss work and/or leave the state to come see you.
Anyway, that's SOME of my two cents. Take it or leave it... or let me know if you want more!
Love the cake and the table settings. I looked into tent things, very expensive. I am with you on the stakecenter thing. Iliked reception sites because they take care of everything,d ecorating, food, invitations, but they are more pricey. Oh and totally love the tiffany blue, very cute!! Love the bridesmiad dresses too, so Amy.... I like your idea, do something you love!!
we did our reception in the church as you know, but I had everything decorated and catered. Our familys didn't have to do a darn thing but show up. Pretty much the same as a reception center, only there is only ONE person to deal with/write a check to, and that will make things a ton easier. It might be more expensive to do it in a church if you have to have someone decorate, cater, make the cake, flowers etc. Add all that up and it can easily be just as expensive as a reception center. Let me know if you need any more help! LOVE YOU. It will all work out
Oooh! Let me plan your wedding!! Just kidding, sort of. :) I wish I could do it all over again (just the planning part - I'll keep the hubby I've got!)
Ok, I honestly loved where Melissa and Steve did theirs. Millenial Falls or whatever the heck it was.. They did food, music, decortating, flowers, invitations... they do a ton! And it's really pretty! But you are the bride and you get to pick and I have to drive to wherever you pick anyways so it can be far away for me.. haha I don't really have a choice :) And I have to go to your wedding cause I freakin' love you! Brie wants to come too :)
Thanks for the pep talk! Only one semester left, WAHOO!
Tifffany blue shoes...heck ya!!!!
Have you considered the Lion House? We had our luncheon at the JSMB (perfect for all the tables and everyone able to see the bride and groom while seated) and then rented the entire main floor of the Lion House. Perfect for flowing the guests thru, lots of space, gorgeously antique-ly decorated already (just add flowers), and hey, how cool of Brigham Young to let me have my reception at his house! Oh, and I went to a wedding there in the Spring where they rented the whole main floor and got the big garden area out back too. It was so pretty. Whatever you choose will be beautiful! I do recommend hiring someone else to set up and clean up though so the whole wedding party (family, etc) won't have to stree about it. I'm so excited for you!
Post a Comment