
I am in the process of preparing my Relief Society lesson for Sunday. I LOVE LOVE LOVE being the 4th Sunday teacher because it means that I get to teach from the current words of our prophets and apostles.
The lesson this week comes from Elder Dallin H. Oaks' "Good, Better, Best," a talk that made a big impression on me back when it was given in conference last October. I have always loved Elder Oaks... his speaking voice is just fabulous, and I feel some connection with him because he went to BYU at the same time as my grandparents. Ha ha.
The talk is full of amazing counsel for each of us concerning the BEST things we can be doing with our precious time. I love that he describes BEST as the "most effective"things and tells us that the BEST things ARE best because they develop faith in the Savior and strengthen our families. He mentions everything from overbooking our kids to church service, and even tells of the shocking statistic that unstructured outdoor activities for kids have declined by 50%. I LOVED PLAYING OUTSIDE AS A KID!!!! So now they all just stay inside glued to the TV and computer? Hmmmmm. Yeah- I'm not a mom yet, but wow- I really feel strongly about limiting all that stuff. ANYWAY- continuing...
I just want to know y'alls thoughts on this talk. I am trying to figure out how to best relate it to the sisters in my class... single young women without families and with jobs and school and whatever else. I know for me personally, "Good, Better, Best" made me really think about the way I spend my time. Let's be honest, I only work 25 hours a week... so what am I doing with the rest of my time? Sleeping... playing on facebook, blogging... lounging around with a boy, watching election updates on CNN... eating Girl Scout cookies- yep- pretty much none of those are particularly effective in building faith in my Savior and helping prepare me to be a better mother and wife to my future family. Hmmmm... time to look at those New Years Resolutions again... those are all BEST things :-)
Wednesday, February 20, 2008
Good, Better, Best
Posted by
Amy
at
11:25 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I, too, loved this talk during conference and have read it a few times since. I thought that once I started being a stay at home mom that it would be easier to study, pray and do all those necessary things. I was wrong. Like you mentioned, we waste a lot of time (like I should be sleeping now instead of blogging). I was reading my friends blog the other day and she mentioned a goal another friend had. I've been trying it out and it makes SUCH a difference. So my new rule is no Internet until after I've read my scriptures for the day! I've been doing it for a week and a half and I'm still motivated and really starting to enjoy my morning study!
I am the 4th Sunday teacher too!! We are twins! But I am teaching Eyring's talk. Love you!
Hmm. Interesting. My kids play outside a lot in the summer, but wait a while, I bet the TV will have it's mom's-BFF-moments at some time. I guess I should read scriptures before getting inline, but I feel certain that someone would poop or get hungry before I finished and then I'd never get to do what I want!
Post a Comment